Installed One Thermocouple in Bean Chute of my Hottop Roaster

I finally decided to install only one K-Type thermocouple in the bean chute cover of my Hottop. I ordered KTSS-HH from Omega. Here is a link to the product: . You would order the K-Type one:

Installation was not really difficult but it was tedious and time consuming because drilling and grinding stainless steel is slow work, at least with the tools I had. I used a template that I printed out, available at the bottom of  this article. I bought a dremel tool to grind this slot for the probe to go through the verticle extension of the chute cover but I think I would have been better off with a small file. I took advice from a different article and bought a 9/64″ carbon drill bit to drill the holes. As I wanted a tight fit, I was afraid 9/64″ would be too loose so I attempted to drill the holes with a non-carbon bit. It was very, very slow going. I used oil to lubricate the bit and try to keep it from over-heating, which it did anyway. I believe they are in Connecticut and I received the item in a couple of days.

Slot that needs to be drilled and filed on upper right:

I’m glad that I finally decided to make this improvement. It’s really nice having temps that are more reliable than the built-in probe!

Author: korkiley

Systems Administrator at University of Vermont (retired as of 7/1/2012) Married Favorite Activities: Condor Glider Online Competition, Developing web sites, making espresso, and keeping a blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: